Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A day without my Nokia E71


It was just before the coffee break in a meeting that I realized my priced gadget was missing. No wonder, the melodious ring tone did not buzz for the last 2 hrs giving me full autonomy over the deliberations of the meeting I was attending that day.

Meanwhile, a word used by one of the presenters kept reminding me of my limited vocabulary. The inbuilt dictionary in my gadget would have brought some peace to my mind. I regretted its absence at that point of time.

Oppss...at 1230, I had to pick up a parcel from someone and I had no idea what time it was. I don't wear a watch justifying that the E71 comes with a great analogue clock on its screen. Didn't dare to ask the time from a not-so friendly looking guy sitting next to me. I am sure the person who brought my parcel must be cursing me for not coming to pick up.

"Lunch will be served in the restaurant downstairs, all the participants are welcome" remarked the MC. All proceeded towards the lunch venue. The butter fried asparagus, kewa datsi and many other delicacies forced me back, while my colleagues expected me anytime to share our packed lunches in the office pantry.


I had an important paper, pending on my desk for further discussion with the client. At 1400 hrs we were suppose to have a short discussion to sort out some issues. The hotel receptionist kindly agreed to allow me a call on mobile, but his no. was saved in my contacts. My client went back grumbling.

The presentations resumed with some mathematical calculations and my brain wasn't quick enough to get the numbers flashed. The calculator in the gadget always helped me do few mathematical calculations.

Now, I was under immense pressure on the whereabouts of my gadget. Did I leave it at home or in my car???Did I leave it in my office drawer???I recollected the entire journey from my home to the meeting venue unable to recollect the place where I left it.

May be, my parents would have called me for some urgent matters, my colleagues must be trying to locate me, my wife would have called to find out if I collected the parcel. All these questions revolved around my head for the next few minutes. Suddenly I noticed a familiar face from behind the door, my senior colleague had come to see me. I knew this would happen, he must have come personally unable to connect me through my phone.

"I tried calling you several times, where is your phone?" he said with a smile on his face. "I couldn't locate it" I said in return. Someone from CDB called me from your phone to inform that he found the gadget lying on the road. Unbelievable, I am getting back my phone which got lost that morning but fortunately got into the hand of a kind person. I decided to pick it up the next morning. My sincere thanks and appreciation to this kind man, not because I was getting back my phone but for his sincerity and honesty. There are very few of his type around us.

1700 hrs, the last presentation of the meeting was about to end in next 5 minutes. I had to coordinate with my wife for our journey back home. That would be difficult, she had no idea where I was that day. She had been waiting in front of my office with her eyes on the parking lot to see me coming.

Just before I entered my car, she grumbled from inside that we are late for the birthday party. Elsewhere, my kind man from CDB must be bothered with the alarm tone I set at 1630 as a reminder to buy the birthday gift.

That was a day full of anxiety for me.

Dear friends, How has technology affected us? has it made us lazy and created a robot in us? or is it convenient? Are we becoming slaves to Technology? Lets discuss.


2 comments:

  1. wow..wonderful piece....really direct from ur heart....and direct on this page..its really nice..neva imagined that a gadget that could really create a whole atmosphere of that kind....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two messages are clear...first, it tells us how dependent we are on small gadget like a cellphone, which we didnt have 7 years back...infact, the life's tranformation has come in just 7 years...can't imagine how complicated or easy one's life can get in another 7 years from now...
    and second, what is unusually praise-worthy about this is the man who got ur cell... he's been 'kind' as u put it...i like the reasons u appreciate and thank him for......it was an interesting read!

    -tashidorji

    ReplyDelete