Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Valley....performing with a message

The scorching sun didn’t prevent a group of youngsters from showing their snaky dance moves to the applauding spectators gathered in the Centenary Farmer’s market. The melodious “ngi semgi tasha” danced with perfection by the energetic troop members of the so called “happy valley” already gained much attention of the happy weekend shoppers.

As the name suggest, their intention is straight forward, to spread happiness among the spectators. I spent 20 minutes of life happily enjoying their performances without any worries, especially the inflated price of veggies thinning my wallet. My 3 year old nephew too struggled behind the tall crowd to seek a clear glance of their moves. He did not wait a second to applaud with the crowd for their performances.

I knew their existence as a stage performer initially started by Tshering Gyeltshen, a talented man. I saw them perform in CICC ground during the Centenary Celebrations, a song I liked and a wonderful TV ad on anti-corruption. I realized a difference in their talents, there was something really unique about this group, is it their uniqueness or their approach? Or is it that I enjoy dancing? May be!!! I loved dancing during my school days. Yeah yeah yeah Coco Jumbo, who the hell is Alice, I will be watching you and Summer of 69, I danced on them like nobody is watching me at the then newly opened DODO’s discotheque in Thimphu. Then, the above musics, a bottle of Eagle Beer and few sq fts of space would be enough to induce our bum to shake Shakira...Anywayz, coming back to Happy Valley, they are great performers. I like them, there is a message and a clear and loud message at the end of every performances. They sensitize on health, environment, trade, agriculture and range of issues and the beauty is that their messages are heard.

The troop leader I assume, I will ask his name for you later, is a wonderful and a talented boy. Like you and me, he too felt very privileged and honoured to have granted an audience by His Majesty the King. His raised his shoulder forward to share the moment that he spent with HM. He passed the concern of HM on the extinction of our traditional Bhutanese songs and the importance to preserve them. “31st May,is World’s no Tobacco Day, let us say no to Tobacco” he said on the top of his voice. Hundreds gathered there knew for the first time that such a day is observed. Those selling tobacco related products in the vicinity heard him loud and clear and became more cautious.

By now, “happy valley” successfully managed to get sponsored with carton full of soft drinks from the two happy spectators. While they continue to perform and impart messages, few cold drinks under scorching sun will booze their energy...You are welcome to be entertained by them at the Centenary Farmer’s Market during weekends. You are also welcome to donate some to these needy youths who apparently plan to open a restaurant in the CFM.

No comments:

Post a Comment